On the Beach
Have you ever dreamed of galloping along a beach? Or been inspired by Poldark's cliff top canters? Well in Bude, it can become a reality!
Enjoy huge expanses of sand over the winter months with the movements of the tide. Or explore the cliff top bridleways which stretch from Upton, past Crooklets, on through Northcott, beyond Sandymouth and down to Stowe. There's year round riding on the bridleway network and beach riding from October through to May.
Pack your saddle bags and set out for the day, there's so much to explore. A 40 minute hack from the hut takes you down to the wonderful beaches of Bude. Borrow our hut map and go on a coastal adventure and at the end of a long day's exploring head back to the cabin and soak in that hot tub!
We've been keeping horses here for almost 15 years. We have plenty of experience and our own equine friends in situ. Our spacious 14 x 14 stables are covered by an open fronted barn and the concrete floors covered with rubber matting.
Tide times can be found here. Always check timings of tides to ensure you do NOT become cut off from the accessible beaches. We can help you with tide times and the best beaches for riding.
Safe horse riding on the beach
1. Always check if it is permitted on the beach you have chosen — visit www.bhs.org.uk for a list of beaches
2. Riding might be limited to certain times, days or areas
3. Ensure you know the boundaries of where you can ride — they might not always be visible
4. Avoid disturbing wildlife and plants — on dunes, stick to designated paths
5. Check there is a car park near the beach before you go for safe unloading
6. Be courteous to other beach users — remove any dung. And you won’t be popular if your horse kicks sand into a sunbather’s face…